Registered Practical Nurse, Full-Time Evenings (3pm-11pm)
The Registered Practical Nurse provides professional nursing care to residents in accordance with required medical care and established nursing care plans and practices, under the direction of the Resident Care Manager, and in accordance with the Standards of Nursing Practice as established by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Perform a variety of routine nursing procedures such as distributing medication to residents, taking blood pressure, temperature and pulse, and changing residents’ dressings
- Direct and lead the team of PSW staff to ensure quality care is delivered to residents
- Monitor residents’ progress, report changes in residents’ condition and environment, and confer with other health care professionals about the plans for resident care
- Provide direct resident care and participate in resident health teaching
- Play an integral role in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of residents under their care
- Assist in the development and maintenance of an appropriate plan of care for each resident. Assesses, plan, implement and evaluate individualized care to meet the residents’ physical and emotional needs. Ensure resident care plan is initiated in collaboration with other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Communicate with relatives regarding the care and condition of respective residents as required.
- Provide resident-oriented, goal-directed nursing care for residents and liaise with physicians, physiotherapy, relatives or responsible persons, etc. to ensure effective resident care is provided;
- Working as per CNO standards
- Maintain compliance with Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA)
- Participate in the orientation, on-the-job training and in-servicing of nursing staff as required
- Requisition and receive supplies.
- Follow all guidelines for employees and employers as legislated under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act. Protect own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety
The ideal candidates will possess:
- The ability to demonstrate St. Andrew’s Residence, Mission & Vision and Core Values and Competencies through a combination of education and experience
- Possess a secondary school graduation diploma or equivalent education (i.e. GED certificate)
- Candidate must have graduated from a Practical Nursing program
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) as an RPN
- Previous experience as a Registered Practical Nurse or Practical Nurse preferred
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiar with PCC (PointClickCare) / EMAR (Electronic Medication Administration Record)
- Possess computer keyboarding skills
- As per the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority Act (RHRA), all staff members shall promptly provide the employer with a signed declaration disclosing new charges, convictions, orders and restraining orders, with respect to the period since the date the person’s last criminal reference check under subsection (2) was conducted
Experience in the following areas an asset:
- RPN work experience or student placement experience in a setting for care of the elderly
- RPN work experience, or student placement experience, in a retirement or long term care home
- Experience directing staff an asset
- Experience with restorative care
- Experience participating in a workplace committee
Certifications, memberships, licenses:
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) as an RPN
- Possess current Standard Level First Aid and Level C CPR certifications
This position works indoors.
Hours of Work:
- 3:00pm- 11:00pm.
- This position works weekday and weekend hours for the days, afternoons, and midnight shifts, which may include statutory holidays
The nature of this position will require the successful candidate to provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Background Check prior to commencement of employment.
Health Screening Requirements:
Each member of staff must have a:
- 2 step TB test
- Fully vaccinated for COVID 19
HOW TO APPLY:
St. Andrew’s Residence welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Any interested person must apply by email with a resume in PDF or .docx format to Sarah Baute, Human Resources Generalist (email@example.com) We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.